All five University of Washington crews advanced today to Saturday's finals at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association championships on the Cooper River. The undefeated and top-ranked UW varsity eight won its semifinal heat and undefeated Wisconsin won the other heat. The Huskies had the faster time over the 2,000-meter course, covering it in 5 minutes, 39.45 seconds. Wisconsin's time was 5:42.23.
Saturday's varsity eight final will decide the national championship and the competitors will be Washington, Wisconsin, California, Northeastern, Stanford and Columbia.
The Huskies' varsity is trying to win back-to-back national titles for the first time since 1940-41.
1. University of Washington 05:39.454
2. University of California Berkeley 05:40.088
3. Northeastern University 05:43.585
4. U.S. Naval Academy 05:47.091
5. Harvard University 05:47.333
6. Yale University 05:47.523
1. University of Wisconsin 05:42.237
2. Stanford University 05:42.991
3. Columbia University 05:43.424
4. Brown University 05:43.980
5. Princeton University 05:44.936
6. Cornell University 05:45.122